Pevensey is a small village located outside of Eastbourne in East Sussex. Its ground is overlooked by the picturesque ruins of Pevensey Castle.
We are a friendly club that cater for cricketers from the ages of 6 upwards.
We have Under 9, 10, 11, 12 and 13 teams as well as two senior teams playing in the East Sussex league.
Juniors train on a Thursday evening at the club between 6-8pm from May through to July. Juniors also play many matches during the season.
Organised cricket was first played locally in Westham in a field upon which now stands Springfield Close. An old photograph dated 1887 of Westham Cricket team provided the earliet recorded proof of cricket in the area; the photograph sadly perished in the pavilion fire of 1974. In 1919 Pevensey and Westham Athletic Club was formed for the purpose of playing cricket and football by local sportsmen who had returned from the great war. In 1947, after disbanding for the Second World War, the club re-formed as Pevensey Cricket Club. Along with the football team the Club obtained a large ex-army hut which was erected on the site of the present new pavilion. This army hut was used as 'the tea pavilion' until its destruction by fire in 1974. Due to monetary troubles construction of a new pavilion did not start until 1975. Even then it wasn't till 1980 that the new pavilion was completed. In the late 1980's a vaerandah was added to form a picturesque addition to the building.
In the past a fixture list of friendlies against local clubs satisfied the members playing wishes but, ever ambitious, the club joined the East Sussex League Division 4 in the late 1980's. In 1992, promotion for the First XI to Division 3 saw the re-emergence of a Second XI for the first time since it was disbanded in 1973.
The square at Pevensey has been maintained by the efforts of the players for all but one year, 1970, when the Parish Council appointed an 'expert' groundsman to do the work, charging the club for each match played. This move proved disastrous as the square quickly deteriorated, eventually making play very dangerous, and the tried and trusted method of allowing the players to carry out the pitch preparation resumed. While the council had to give in to the club over this issue it retaliated by banning all cricket at the ground for a year. For this summer, that of 1972, all the club games were played away but the cricket section battled though.
In the early years the ground was not particularly well mown, with long grass in the outfield. To combat this the big hitting batsmen, like Bert "Dusty" Miller, scored their centuries with lusty blows rather than strokes along the ground. For a time after the war, sheep were left to graze the outfield and a team of small boys went round with buckets and spades before matches to clear up the mess. In the 1950's and 60's a 30" mower with trailer, roller and seat was used to mow the entire outfield. While the job took up to 10 hours the result was an immacualte outfield. Before water was laid out to the square, only a half inch hose that ran from the tap in the pavilion was available. Pevensey Fire Brigade was called in before Cricket Week when the whole square was first covered with 'Clonjy' - a mixture of cow manure brought from Chilley Farm in an old bath and mud collected from the nearby Haven - before the entire square was flooded to water the mixture in.
In 1928 the Pevensey Cricket Week made its first appearance and continued annually until the war. Revived in 1949 it continues to this day. It consisted of six consecutive all-day matches against touring sides from all over the country. For several seasons in the '50s Raman Subba-Row played for Pevensey before progressing to play for Surrey, Northants and England. At this time many Sussex cricketers of renown came with the Sussex Club and Ground team to play against the village side. During this period, well known and stalwart Club Officers included Colonel W.C. Millward (President), Mr E.E. Sharp (Secretary for over 20 years), and captains at various times, Steve Plumley and 'Dusty' Miller.